The school’s infrastructure has seen a lot of improvement since its establishment in the 1942. Below are some of the facilities available to all students of Aggrey Memorial Zion Senior High School.
Rev. Dr. Osam Pinanko who started the A.M.E. Zion Church in Cape Coast in 1903
Mr. Kofi Bentsi-Enchill whose financial support enabled the school to battle with
and weather terrific storms in the early years.
Mr. J. E. Casely Hayford, a renowned educationist
Bishop Watson through whom the A.M.E. Zion Church acquired the school from
the “Aggrey Society”.
Mrs. Annie Lucille Alleyne, the wife of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Alleyne, for her interest
in girls education in Africa and for her substantial contribution towards the
construction of the school’s first block which started in 1952.
Mrs. Juliana Segbefia, the first housekeeper for her motherly affection for the girls
in Cape Coast town.
Katherine Aikins, a student for her memory. Her tragic death occurred in the
school in 1970 when she was crossing the Accra-Takoradi road after choir practice,
to the girls’ dormitories.
The house is yet to be named.
#AMOSA HOME COMING 2021
The Dining Hall
The school’s dining hall, which was initially constructed to cater for 450 students in 1960, has been renovated and expanded over a period of time to cater for 2,500 students
The first Science Block was dedicated on 3 March 1957. It was a gift from Barclays DCO to commemorate Ghana’s attainment of Independence. This 3 roomed block is popularly referred to as the Old Science block. The second Science Block was built by the Ghana Government, part of which is currently being used as a Science Resources Centre, serving students of three other Senior Secondary Schools in the Abura-Asebu-Kwamankese District.
The present Administration Block which was completed in 1972 houses the staff common room, library on the top floor and the accounts office, bursars’ office and the office of the Head Master. An epitome of discipline and dedication, the block has served as a deterrent to would be way ward students as its location ensures that staff members have a clear view of all the classroom blocks and student activities during the day.
The White Block
Referred to as the White Block, this imposing 2-storey structure sits in the middle of the campus and houses most of the classrooms of the school. It has approximately ………. classrooms dedicated to the various programmes on offer at the school. Sitting between the Administration block and the boys dormitories, it offers a clear view to each teacher (the authorities) as to the happenings in this block and also have a clear view of the dormitories. This ensures that any way ward student hiding in the dormitories can be seen from this block.
With the ever increasing demand for the Aggrey Memorial SHS brand, a new classroom block is being constructed by the PTA of the school. This is to augment the existing ones and also ensure that new students do not lack access to a modern classroom facility.
Formally referred to as the Main Hall or 6th Form block, this block used to house the Lower and Upper Six form classrooms, of the old educational system, it was solely reserved for the “SENIORS” of the school at the time. It also served as the entertainment hall and the Chapel during that period and used to house the music room and Infirmary, popularly called the sick bay.
Assembly Hall /Chapel
The Full Gospel A.M.E. Zion Church of Temple Hills, Maryland in the USA, under Pastor, Rev. Dr. John A. Cherry, funded the construction of the ultra-modern Chapel/Assembly Hall Complex with a seating capacity of 2,000 for the school. This project, valued at approximately US$900,000.00, was started in November, 1995 and completed in February, 1998. His Lordship Bishop Warren Matthew Brown, the Bishop of the Western West African Episcopal District of the A.M.E. Zion Church dedicated and named the Complex, “Full Gospel A.M.E. Zion Chapel/Assembly Hall in June, 1997. At the dedication ceremony, the keys of the Assembly Hall were ultimately handed over to the then headmaster, Mr. Clement Bernasco Pobee.
This facility serves as a model club for all sporting activities in Aggrey memorial & the Central Accra Region as a whole.
The school’s Information and Communication Technology (ICT) status has improved drastically with the installation of a 120 feet transmission mast linked via satellite with AT&T in the US. This is in addition to well-resourced computer lab situated within the ultra-modern assembly hall. The lab has several PCs, printers and with the satellite link, access to the World Wide Web or the Internet is readily available to students for their research work.
This room set aside for the treatment or accommodation of the sick, especially within the school.
The school believe in research into agriculture. This block is dedicated to the Agric-Science students. it also houses number of livestocks as well & agro-products.
The Mission of the Aggrey Memorial High School Library Center is to teach students how to read, comprehend, and analyze information effectively and to encourage and empower students to be life-long 21st Century learners.
Old Science Block
The old science block have converted to a classroom to accomodate the increase in number of students this past years.